When we complete this unit, the students should have an understanding of these topics:
- materials are either transparent, translucent, or opaque
- reflection - bounces light & refraction - bends light
- light travels in straight lines
- a prism bends/refracts light
- convex - magnifies & concave - makes smaller
Here are some flash cards I'm working on to help master these new terms. They are a work in progress, so please don't download them yet!
Topic 1- Properties of Light
- Identify objects that are transparent, opaque, and translucent.
- Investigate how light passes through different objects.
- Describe the properties of light.
Great definitions! (pictures too!)
Topic 2- Movement of Light
- Recognize that light travels in a straight line.
- Identify sources of light
- Observe the changes of the direction of light when using a mirror.
- Investigate reflections & refractions of light
- Use mirrors to reflect (bounce) light
Topic 3-Lenses and Prisms
- Compare and contrast convex and concave lenses.
- Recognize that convex lenses magnify and concave lenses make things smaller.
- Recognize that a prism bends/refracts light separating it into colors or visible spectrum - ROYGBIV
- Use prisms & lenses to refract (bend) light
- Visible spectrum
- Concave lens
- Convex lens