Travel with Mrs. Sanford's Class on a Journey through SPACE!
Unit Name: Unit 7 - Earth, Moon and Solar System
Our essential question for this unit is: "How does the earth’s position in the solar system affect my life?"
When we complete this unit, students should have an enduring understanding of the following topics:
- Position of the earth determines day and night
- Phases of the Moon
- Tilt of Axis cause seasons
- Order of Planets
- (There are only 8 planets. Pluto is no longer considered a true planet.)
Topic 1-Day and Night
- Demonstrate using a model of the earth, the day and night cycle
- Illustrate and identify the day and night cycles based on the earth's rotation
Topic 2- Phases of the Moon
- Demonstrate the phases of the moon using a model
- Illustrate the sequential phases of the moon over a 28 day period
- Summarize why we see different phases of the moon.
- Identify how long it takes for one complete revolution around the sun.
- Differentiate the cause of seasonal change
- Compare and contrast the result of the earth's tilt, relative to seasons.
- Identify that the sun is the central star in our solar system
- Sequence and list the EIGHT planets in the solar system in order (Pluto is no longer considered a true planet.)
- Construct a model of the planets in our solar system, in order from the sun.
- Solar System
Here are someFlash Cards you might find helpful as we cover this unit. Please feel free to print them for use at home. (PLEASE do not print these yet. They are terms without definitions)